When a Day Job Turns into a Hobby: A Wine PR's Take on Her First WSET Class


Katy Jameson, Senior Account Executive, Clarion Communications

WSET is the Wine and Spirits Education Trust - renowned throughout the Drinks trade as the school for anyone whose enjoyment or association with all things alcoholic goes beyond just drinking it.

As a wine PR, I regularly speak to journalists who know more about wine than they do about the back of their own hands - so it's important to know what you're talking about when recommending them to try your client's range.  I'm very lucky to have been supported by Clarion in attending a beginner's guide to wine and spirits, and I had my first class this month.

And I loved it, learning how to describe what I smell (the nose of wine), what I taste (the palate), what it's like to drink (the mouthfeel) and how to tell if it's any good.

However, my favourite lesson in wine so far is how to pair it with food.  I enjoy a good meal just as much as I do a decent drop, so especially enjoyed discovering how the different flavours can enhance wine and, in some cases, ruin it.

I'm only at the start of my journey too - I can't wait to learn more. Stay tuned for lesson two...

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your thoughts so make sure you comment on our posts!